Thursday, February 20, 2014

Another chapter in the "Book of Fans"

    For as long as I can remember, Runnin' Utes basketball and (more recently) the Jazz have been a big part of my life.

    I had a family member who played for the Runnin' Utes.  He made the team by hard work as a walk on and had his best game ever against BYU.  

     As a kid, I was legally blind in my left eye.  This made learning how to read all but impossible.  I remember day after day of throwing books across the room in frustration as my poor parents tried to teach me.  Nothing worked.  One day, my Dad got the idea that maybe if I found something I was interested in, the reading would come easier.  He introduced me to box scores in the "Houston Chronicle" and a light bulb clicked on.

    Each morning, I got up early and was assigned to tell him about what had happened in the Jazz (his team), Rockets (my team), and Runnin' Utes (our team) games.  Even though they were a long way away, I learned to love players like Jimmy Soto and Josh Grant by reading the box scores.  Reading became fun, and it changed my life.

    When we moved to Utah, I jumped ship to the Jazz full time.  I loved going to the occasional game at the "Decibel Center" or walking across campus to see the Utes play up on the hill.  In my driveway at home, I shot baskets for hours on end and pretended to be right there along side Mike Doleac, Nick Jacobson, Alex Jensen, Andre Miller, Hanno Mottola, Ketih Van Horn, Jeff Hornacek, Karl Malone, John Stockton and my many other heroes.  

    Those were the glory days.  Though we came up just short of winning the big win, we were on top of the world.  

    These days, times are different.  But my love of those teams has not changed.  

    I enjoy social media.  I like reading what others see because I feel like 99% of people have something to offer that I can learn from.  I also like that I can control who I follow.  I don't follow any bozos.  I follow those who are passionate and bring something to the table, and I love it.  

    At the same time, it can be a terrible place.  I see people taking to it to run down kids who are trying their hardest and may not always have the results on the court or field.  When I see this, I picture in my mind this family member I mentioned earlier.  I picture him playing hard and having people run him down when things didn't go right and it gets me upset.  These are kids who work their tails off in school and on the court. 

   Why does anyone feel the need to run down a kid?  Or even worse, their family?  That is pathetic.  I get tired of Jazz fans who constantly want to blame all of the problems in the world on Ty Corbin, but Ty is a grown man who is paid quite well and taking over the top criticism from zealots is part of the job.  It is pitiful that he has to deal with it, but it is part of the job nonetheless.  Kids?  Moms and Dads who just love their kids? Absolutely disgusting that anyone would feel the need to call them names and harass them.  Would anyone say this same stuff to their face?  Not a chance.  So why do it over social media?  
    In no way, shape, or form, am I saying that athletes and coaches are beyond criticism.  There are criticisms of the Ute and Jazz players and coaches that are fair and appropriate.  Was I frustrated after last night's game?  You better believe it.  

    I was asked an interesting question last night.  I am known as someone who is optimistic about my teams and people wanted to know at what point will good efforts not be enough and when will I "demand" that my teams win games such as last night. 

     My answer?  Never.  We play in a difficult conference.  Losses like this are going to happen no matter how much talent we have.  Do I want more wins?  Absolutely.  Do I believe they will come?  Without a doubt!  But in the meantime, I will accept the reality that we are an up and coming team.  Twice this year, we have given Arizona a ball game despite being at a significant talent disadvantage.  If being content with that makes me a "lapdog" or "someone who pathetically accepts moral victories", so be it.  It is reality, even if I am disappointed that one got away.  

    Win, lose, or draw, I will always support my team, the players, and coaches, as long as I see a great effort being put forth.  When I see a lousy effort, even in wins, I will become more vocal.  (you should read my blogs about the 2012 Boston Red Sox).  I do not think for even one second that I am a better fan than someone who feels differently, it is just the way I approach it.  

   In anything in life, it helps to look at the big picture.  Two years ago, outside of people I can count on one hand, I couldn't have paid anyone to talk about Runnin' Ute hoops with me.  Last night, the Huntsman Center was darn near full.  Improvement is being made.  Larry K is doing things the right way.  Our time will come.  I have no doubt about it.  Someday soon, all of these frustrations will be distant memories.  

   




    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment