Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Change of Pace: Ben the TV Critic?


     There are three shows on TV that I absolutely have to watch each week.  The first (The Office) is one that I have followed for quite some time.  As it prepares to wrap up, I find myself intrigued by how it will all end.  The second (Shark Tank) has been a favorite for a couple of years now, and I feel like I learn a lot during each episode.  Finally, the third show (Go On) is new this season, and I am already hoping that it has a long run.

     I know, this blog is typically dedicated exclusively to sports but I thought I'd change it up today.  So, without further delay, here are the reasons these shows are "must see" TV for me:

     The Office:

    Like many of you, I have seen every episode of this show.  I love the writing and the style of this show.  Through 9 seasons, this show has kept me coming back and never getting bored.

    I know that a lot of people are disappointed in this ninth and final season.  In a way, I am too.  I am not a fan of how the Jim-Pam-Roy love triangle storyline is being repeated with Pete-Erin-Andy (at least that is how it looks).  I find that in each episode, I am laughing less than I used to.

    It still has its moments of course; Creed's subtle "thats what she said" comes to mind, but as a whole, it's just not as funny to me as it used to be.

    So why do I bother tuning in?  Because it's a classic.  As it winds down, there are just some things that I want to know.  Who is the Scranton Strangler?  What is the film crew really up to?  I just want to know.  I tune in each week hoping to see a surprise appearance by Michael Scott.  I cross my fingers as each episode goes by that I will not be subjected to another meaningless/obnoxious scene with Gabe in it.

     I'll see this one through to the end, even if it means less laughs than before.

     As a PS to this section, I want to address those who feel that "The Office" has crashed harder than any show in the history of television.  Try watching "Sabrina the Teenage Witch".  If you get through season 6 and continue to watch season 7, you will be thankful that "The Office" writers have only fallen so far.  Trust me.

     Shark Tank: 

     I believe that this show has some value to society as a whole.  I don't mean in a "Let's all get together and talk about our feelings, Full House" type of way.

     Watching this episode is a crash course in starting/growing/maintaining a business.  Those with an idea are often given advice or criticism in their path to success.  For people at home, this advice can be applied as the next generation of small-business owners.

     If you have never watched, here is how it works:  A person or group with an idea at various stages of production appear before a panel of investors "the sharks".  They explain/demonstrate their product or idea and give a presentation as to why a shark should invest in their product.

    Sometimes, the sharks dismiss the person quickly.  Other times, they get into intense battles over who can give this person the best offer.  Each has their own unique strengths.  Sometimes, they even work together to sweeten a deal.

    I believe that when we look back on American history years from now, it will be said that people with ideas for products saved the country, not politicians.  They put people back to work and as a result, America thrived again.

    I think that people are watching this show and taking notes.  I hope they are anyway.  If folks ask themselves the same questions that the Sharks ask of would-be business partners, they will save themselves a lot of trouble.

     This show is worth your time, every time.

     Go On:

     I saw previews for this show during the summer Olympics and didn't think much of it.  My wife is a big Matthew Perry fan and when it was announced that a special sneak peak would be aired, she convinced me to give it a try.

    I was hooked on the pilot episode.

    It follows Ryan King (Perry), a sports radio host who has just lost his wife.  He is sent to group counseling to deal with his grief (though he denies having any).  The show tells of the adventures of King and the fellow group members as they go through their daily life.

    I think the underlying thing about this show is that it shows that people who you might normally consider to be "weird" or "crazy" are really caring, loving people.  At any rate, the show makes me laugh.

    So there you have it, three shows that I have to catch each week.  You should to!

No comments:

Post a Comment